The Acoustical Society’s website has Education and Outreach resources including:
- Listen to Sounds
- Information on the science of acoustics
- Info on scholarships, prizes and grants
- Directory of graduate education in acoustics
- Career information on acoustics
THE SCIENCE OF SOUND
Thomas D. Rossing, Richard F. Moore and Paul A. Wheeler
This book is a very nice introduction to acoustics, written in nontechnical language, primarily for students without college physics and mathematics. It is the leading textbook in the field, in its 3rd edition and includes a wide range of important technological developements.
HORNS, STRINGS & HARMONY
Arthur H. Benade
This delightful excursion into the world of music gives a clear and comprehensive account of both the scientific and the aesthetic nature of music.
OPTICS 4 KIDS
Explore the science of light! Resource for students, parents and teachers. This site has a range of fun materials including many that combine the science of sound and light such as:
- Create Your Own Laser Show a teacher resource.
- Spectra Sound kit - transport your music using lasers!
- Career info on optical storage of music/movies in Optics Celebs
AAPT PTRA - American Association of Physics Teachers
ASA is proud to partner with the AAPT PTRA Program. AAPT PTRA's mission is to improve the teaching and learning of physics and physical science for all teachers and students in the United States. The PTRAs are focusing one aspect of their workshops for teachers in 2011 on the Sound and Music activity kits and the Middle School Activities developed with the ASA.
PhET INTERACTIVE SIMULATIONS
Suite of approximately 100, high quality, educationally effective, simulations about science.
- Appropriate for all ages.
- Includes activities for teachers.
- Simulations that relate to acoustics include:
-Wave on a String,
-Wave Interference, and
-Fourier: Making Waves
Dangerous Decibels is a highly effective program designed to reduce the prevalence of noise-induced hearing loss and tinnitus (ringing in the ear).
- Carefully researched and user -tested materials
- Games to learn about hearing loss and how to prevent it.
- Teacher activities
- Educator Workshops
DISCOVERY OF SOUND IN THE SEA
This is a very rich website with a range of materials.
- Appropriate for all ages.
- Recordings of animal sounds and video.
- Teacher materials with extensions for all grade levels.
- Scientist profiles, and
- Lots of information about studying sounds in the sea.
DALLAS SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA FOR KIDS
Contains resources about musical instruments
- Listen to a large range of instruments.
- Nicely put together, straightforward inquiry activities for teachers
- Elementary level.
WORLD ACCESS FOR THE BLIND
Resources and information for the blind. Daniel Kish trains blind individuals how to use echolocation to navigate the world – including mountain biking!
Noisy planet is a joint venture between the National Institute of Health and the National Institute of Deafness and other Communication Disorders focused on preventing noise induced hearing loss in 8-12 year olds.
- Information for parents
- Materials for kids
Free downloads developed by Elliott Berger, MS, Senior Scientist with 3M Occupational Health and Environmental Safety Division. This list of information sheets might be helpful to teachers and students.
- Noise Hazards
- Hearing Protection
- An excellent Excel file listing 1,700 sounds with a decibel rating on each.